So, a fellow Vintage Point of Sale aficionado and I are trying to figure out what Kmart Canada used for their point of sale system in the mid 1980s until Kmart left Canada in 1997. We suspect they were made by NEC.
Take a look in this newspaper photo, the register is spotted from the side in the Computer department.
Things we know:
- The cash registers started out with the old Kmart inventory “keys”
- The cash registers were upgraded to scanning, however, before the actual scanners were installed, they cashiers entered UPC codes into the registers
- There was a two line alphanumeric 13-segment LED display
- The registers may have been connected with a 10 Base T BNC cable
If you have any information, please reply to this entry.
- @ January 12, 2021 9:38 pm